We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Krautkayser cabbage is a well-known white vegetable variety with very decent characteristics. It is an F1-labeled hybrid that is considered demanding maintenance. But compliance with agrotechnical rules allows you to grow a very high yield of juicy and tasty cabbage. The Latin name of the variety is Brassica Oleracea Var. Capitata 'Krautkaizer F1. Translated from German as Cabbage Monarch.
The hybrid has excellent characteristics, which it fully reveals with the observance of agricultural cultivation techniques.
Description of krautkaiser cabbage
A hybrid cabbage variety developed by the Dutch breeders of BEJO ZADEN B.V. It grows best in climates of moderate temperatures. It has been cultivated in the Russian Federation since 1993. The main regions of cultivation of the variety:
- West Siberian;
- East Siberian;
- Far Eastern;
The Krautkayser variety has a lot of useful characteristics, thanks to which it is very popular among vegetable growers.
Cabbage ripening period is medium late. The crop is ready for harvest 100-120 days after planting the seedlings in the ground. In some regions, the ripening period lasts from 125 days to 150 days. This is due to weather conditions.
The plant is powerful, non-leaking. The rosette of the variety is rather large, but compact and low-leafed. A distinctive feature of the leaf cover is that cabbage is good at suppressing weeds, which reduces the amount of weeding during the season.
A head of cabbage of the correct form. Flat-rounded or oval outlines may occur. The color of the head of the Krautkayser cabbage is white on the cut, the structure is dense and well developed. Forks without voids, uniform filling. Average weight of heads is 3-4 kg. The inner stump is of regular length, the outer one is much shorter.
The leaf plates of cabbage are medium-sized, semi-raised. Their shape is ovoid, the color is light green, with a slight blue.
Amazing leaf color gives decorative effect to Krautkaiser cabbage beds
The surface of the leaves is smooth, with a slight waxy bloom, the edges are without waviness. The leaves are juicy, with a pleasant taste.
The Krautkayser variety is highly adaptable to climate conditions. It grows well in unstable temperatures, tolerates rising and falling with equal stability.
If the storage requirements are met, Krautkayser shows an average keeping quality - up to 4 months. The transportability of the hybrid is excellent, suitable for mechanical processing.
The variety is grown on an industrial scale.
Pros and cons of krautkaiser cabbage
This is not to say that the variety is liked by all vegetable growers. However, those who grew the Krautkaiser identify a whole list of its advantages:
- Excellent adaptation of cabbage to environmental conditions and climate. Consistently good attitude to heat and cold.
- Heads of cabbage do not crack even at high humidity.
- Large-fruited variety.
- Stable immunity to major diseases of the culture.
- The density of the heads allows cabbage to be transported over long distances without damage.
- High yield of the variety on different soils.
- Versatility of use.
Also noted are some of the shortcomings that prevented Krautkayser from becoming everyone's favorite. They manifest themselves only in the presence of violations:
- Agrotechnics. In this case, the cabbage is affected by a fungal infection - keel.
- Storage rules. The shelf life of cabbage decreases, which is already considered average (no more than 4 months).
Another disadvantage is the average frost resistance of the variety. It does not allow for good harvests in areas with harsh winters.
Cabbage yield Krautkayser F1
The organizers established a high yield of the variety. It is this parameter that attracts farmers. If the requirements of agricultural technology are met and the weather is favorable, then you can collect 8-13 kg of the Krautkaiser variety from 1 sq. m. Another factor that distinguishes cabbage is the amicable ripening of the forks and an excellent presentation.
If you follow all the rules for leaving a small area, you can harvest a large harvest.
Planting and caring for Krautkaiser cabbage
The description of the variety indicates its demand for heat and average frost resistance. Therefore, Krautkaiser is hardly grown by direct sowing into the ground. The best option is the seedling method. It gives the maximum result, although it requires effort. To grow high-quality cabbage seedlings, you must perform certain actions:
- Purchase certified planting material and prepare it for sowing. The seeds of the Krautkaiser hybrid are distinguished by high germination, the first shoots appear 6-7 days after sowing.
- Determine the sowing time. For seedlings, Krautkayser cabbage is sown in the 2nd decade of April.
- Prepare the seeds. To do this, wrap them in a wet cloth, the temperature of the water for soaking is + 45-50 ° C. Soak for 25 minutes, rinse with cold water and place in the stimulating solution for 12 hours. Then you will have to harden in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. During the day, the Krautkaiser seeds are in the room, at night they are sent to the refrigerator.
- Prepare containers and soil mixture. It is recommended to take separate cups for sowing. Soil for seedlings can be purchased ready-made or you can independently mix turf soil with humus in equal quantities. It is helpful to add 1 cup of wood ash. Calcine the soil or spill it with a solution of potassium permanganate.
- Fill the cups with soil mixture with a layer of 7 cm, deepen the cabbage seeds by 1.5 cm, moisten with a spray bottle.
- Cover crops with foil, put in a warm place with good lighting and an air temperature of at least + 18-23 ° С.
- As soon as the seedlings of the Krautkayser variety hatch, remove the film and reduce the temperature to + 15-18 ° C.
As soon as the seedlings hatch, you need to transfer the container to the light so that they do not stretch out
When caring for seedlings, you need to optimize watering - monitor the level of drying of the top layer of the soil. Excessive moistening of Krautkaiser cabbage seedlings will lead to stem and root rot. So that it does not stretch, it is necessary to provide good lighting for 14-15 hours. When sowing in a large planting box, it is imperative to dive the seedlings of the variety. This must be done at the stage of two full-fledged leaves, and the seedling should be deepened to the cotyledonous leaves. 14 days before planting, start hardening cabbage seedlings, taking the container outside.
Prepare the garden in advance. Krautkaiser cabbage grows well in medium-neutral soil, nutritious and loose. Optimally - black soil or loam. Choose a sunny place, best after potatoes, cucumbers or legumes. Dig up, fill with compost or humus. Cabbage seedlings are ready for planting 35 days after sowing - throughout May, depending on weather and climatic conditions.
In the garden, make indentations according to the scheme 50 × 50 cm or 60 × 40 cm, transfer the seedlings with a lump, cover with nutritious soil, water.
It is not difficult to care for the Krautkaiser variety, but the main points must be followed:
- Watering. Cabbage is very hygrophilous, so you will have to water the plants all season. Seedlings are moistened 2-3 times a week, taking into account the weather conditions. It is important to pay the main attention to watering when cabbage heads begin to form. Only at constant soil moisture does the Krautkaiser form large heads. But at the time of their ripening, stop watering so that the heads of cabbage do not crack.
Important! When irrigating, moisture should be avoided on the leaves.
- Top dressing. At the beginning of June, the Krautkaiser cabbage needs nitrogen, so it is recommended to use a solution of ammonium nitrate or an infusion of bird droppings. The second time food is needed when forming heads. The mineral composition is made in 10 liters of water. You will need superphosphate (5 g), urea (4 g), potassium sulfate (8 g). For one plant, you need to pour 2 liters of the composition. A popular recipe is to sprinkle ash on the near-stem circle.
- Weeding and loosening. Especially important at the beginning of the growing season, so that weeds do not overshadow the Krautkaiser cabbage. Then the cultivar itself suppresses weeds. Loosening can be continued until the end of the season.
Loosening and weeding significantly improves the quality of the variety heads
- Hilling. This procedure will strengthen the cabbage root system and increase yields. It is more convenient to carry it out after rain. Hilling is recommended for the variety 2 times with an interval of 3 weeks.
Harvest on a sunny, dry day. Then sort the heads of cabbage and send for storage.
Diseases and pests
The Krautkayser hybrid has varying degrees of disease resistance. For example, it is not affected by punctate necrosis and fusarium. But rot (white and gray), keel, downy mildew or bacteriosis can get sick. This happens when the rules of agricultural technology are violated.
Keela is characterized by growths on the roots.
Liming the soil can prevent infestation.
Downy mildew affects not only the leaves, but also other parts of the Krautkaiser cabbage.
Bacteriosis makes cabbage unusable
The most common pests include fleas, cabbage flies and aphids.
Pests have to be fought with insecticides
The vegetable is not stored for a long time. Therefore, it is often used for preparing salads, main courses, casseroles. Krautkayser is amazingly suitable for fermentation, the juiciness and taste of the leaves make the dish very tasty. Due to the high content of vitamin C, it is possible to make cabbage juice from the leaves for medicinal purposes.
Krautkaiser cabbage is a decent choice of variety for growing at home and on farms. If the requirements of agricultural technology are fulfilled, the hybrid will delight you with a good high quality harvest.
Reviews about Krautkayser cabbage
Polina Sergeevna Milyutina, 49 years old, Kostroma
The first time I planted the Krautkayser hybrid 3 years ago. Now I buy seeds all the time. I grow seedlings myself, caring for it is standard, germination is excellent. The harvest is stable even in abnormal weather. The heads of cabbage do not crack, the shape of the heads is neat, the weight is large. To provide a family with a delicious vegetable, you do not need to plant a large garden. A very profitable variety.
Artem Sergeevich Markin, 41 years old, Belgorod
I am engaged in farming. I liked the Cabbage King or Krautkaiser right away. It retains its presentation for a long time, the heads of cabbage do not crack. I can transport long distances without loss. Another plus is that it perfectly tolerates mechanical cleaning, without waste and damage. An excellent variety for entrepreneurs.